2010-08-19

Unicorn Dress


IMG_6715

IMG_6698

IMG_6693

IMG_6694

IMG_6696

It's not very often that I have a legitimate reason to go out and buy an evening gown. In fact, I've never had a legitimate reason and the only evening gown I've ever bought was in the tenth grade, at a thrift shop for Halloween purposes.

Due to not being able to attend prom (for lack of nobody wanting to bring the fat unpopular girl), I've always felt slightly cheated in a way. Even though 90% of the people I've talked to say that prom was a disaster/not worth it/food was terrible, etc....But God damn it, I wanted to get gussied up so badly. And now I have a miraculous second chance:

The Military Police Ball, September 11th.
The hunt started last Friday at my now favorite consignment shop in the world, upon the discovery of this dress:
100% silk, hand embroidered vintage strapless...pale grey MIRACLE. This dress is the fabric equivalent of a god damn unicorn to me.

The way it falls at the bottom makes my heart skip beats. I dddiieed. Although it's undeniably on the small side, I figure this one to be worth skimping on the chocolate for a while. The pictures don't even begin to do it justice...the color somehow reminds me of a perfectly done sea foam green...without being that, it comes across the same way, if that makes any sense at all.

And then there is the problem of shoes. After spending an obscene amount of time visiting 16 or more stores, and countless more hours on the internet trying to find the perfect pair of heels, the only ones that do it justice were these Wild Rose ones, found on lovemyshoes.com. I'm infatuated with the heel mostly. The rhinestone detail, the metallic spike...goodness all around. My mother also picked up a pair from the consignment shop downtown; vintage satin with rhinestone details. Unfortunately they don't work as well, but they were only $2 so no huge loss. I'm sure I will find a use for them elsewhere.

And now we are faced with the task of finding the perfect clutch. I hate everything about clutches aside from the way they look...incredibly elegant, and yet only practical if you only plan on carrying a credit card, three cigarettes and one tampon if you are lucky. Not so great if you want to tote your dslr around. And there is no way I'm leaving my camera at home for this one. Hm.....



1 comment: