2009-10-01

Making Gramma Proud.








I picked up knitting on a whim two winters ago. I don't remember exactly what it was that inspired me, but it was probably just my love for DIY, with the benefit of only having to buy needles and yarn that drew me to it. My Grandmother was thrilled that someone in the family was following in her footsteps, being a hardcore knitter. She learned at the age of 5 or something ridiculous like that. When I started out I went to her in hopes of learning a few good tips and tricks of the trade. I ended up going home more baffled than when I started. She knits maniacally fast, it's mind-boggling to watch. Her explainations were also given at the same pace, and I was entirely overwhelmed. She might as well have given me a 5 minute rundown on astrophysics.
I've grown to love a few simple patterns, and have been sticking with them. I'm thinking that it's time to do some studying and explore my potential in the knitting world. God knows I've got some time to kill, and there's just something about knitting that is incredibly soothing. The mindless repetition, knit-purl-knit-purl-yok2, k, p2....
The only way I can explain it is that it's like a math that I can understand. Which is in and of itself, revolutionary for me.
While you're going through the motions, it's like being submerged in a mathematical equation. Except instead of vague and impersonal numbers, there are physically present strings and sticks making their conjunctions and interactions solely under your control. And in the end, you've got a scarf, hat, headband, etc...
So here are a few things I've made in the past two years. Promise to god, I will expand my horizons this winter '09-10.


No comments:

Post a Comment